Want great tips for the Family?

I write for The Examiner.com and would love to have you stop by and read my articles at:

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A funny story about Spelling Words

A couple weeks ago, Phil was helping Katy with her spelling words. I assign spelling homework each night which typically is some variation of studying her spelling words so she'll be ready for the test each Friday. I also try to have her do her homework with her daddy since I am her teacher and want to take my teacher hat off in the evening. It also helps him to be involved.

Katy has been pretty frustrated because she doesn't feel like she knows her words well (this happens whether it is Monday or Thursday...any suggestions on creative ways to help her with her words...from my fellow home schooling moms?). Phil asked her if knew here words. She said she didn't. I think he asked her a couple, but she didn't know them.

Then she said, "I know one word daddy!"

"Ok, what is it?"

"I"

"I?"

"Yep. You spell it 'I'"

He had to laugh and roll his eyes because that is just like his sense of humor!

Phil told his boss this story and Greg even laughed! He said something about how his girls have his sense of humor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How many words does she have? Could she do one or two a night in some sort of fun crafty way? (Not that you want to get crafts out each night...) Or maybe she could play "teacher" to Phil, and teach him the words? He could do a mini lesson or test for her, and she could correct it. He should make some obvious spelling errors that she needs to correct or something like that. As for the confidence thing - what curriculum do you use? We are using Explode the Code for spelling - and it's really cute. The books are pretty inexpensive, and would work well for spelling homework (do a page or two each night...) Praying as you are homeschooling! Wish we lived closer together so we could have homeschool playdates!
Love,
Stacy