Want great tips for the Family?

I write for The Examiner.com and would love to have you stop by and read my articles at:

Saturday, February 07, 2009

The Man with a Funny Name


Once upon a time, some 23 years ago, the man with a funny name became a part of my life. He was an ordinary man, but one with a big heart. He took me in from the moment he saw me and I became his girl. The man with a funny name was much older, old enough to be my grandfather. He had a smile that could win your friendship in a heartbeat and that is truly what happened.

One July day, shortly after Independence Day, I was introduced to him. We were at a campground in a small Indiana town, and he was the one man I could easily have hated. If it weren't for this man and his conversations with my dad, I would still have been a New York girl, but this man cajoled my parents to leave all that was familiar and follow God's calling to plant a church. I had no desire to leave my home in NY for this so-called experience of church planting. All I knew was that I'd left my friends behind and had no hope of finding more anytime soon since we didn't know anyone.

When we moved to Indiana, we had no home. We knew we wanted to be in the community where we were starting the church, but still had to locate a house. We found one, it was actually our realtor's house. The process went quickly and I remember helping to pack the realtor's boxes with our boxes that we were unpacking. I can remember emptying the hall closet, wiping the shelves, and then loading our stuff into the cabinet. Then, I would fill our box with the stuff from their closet that needed to go to their new house.

Moving in day came. There were a bunch of people from the district there to help us unload the moving truck into the garage so we could return it. Since we didn't have a church with people already, it wasn't possible to have them there. The man with the funny name was there though. He brought his smiles and his hug and kiss for his girl. (That's what he called me.)

Lunch time came and we made a plan to head out to Rockville Road to the Hardees restaurant. He gave general directions about where we needed to head and we all left in separate vehicles. I was with my mom. I really don't remember if anyone else was with us or not. I just know we drove up and down, up and down that stretch of Rockville Road looking for Hardees. We couldn't find it. So, mom said we'd just stop and eat at the Burger King and maybe the others would see our car and join us. Shortly after we ordered, the man with a funny name showed up with the others alongside. We asked him about where Hardees was, and were told that this was Hardees...even though the name on the sign said Burger King! From that moment on, the man with a funny name became "Uncle Hardee" to me and I became even more his girl.

He'd come visit us as often as he could. Many times Aunt Sarah would come with him. We always loved having her around too. One Sunday jumps out at me very clearly. We had been meeting in the Avon Middle School for awhile and our church was beginning to grow there. On that Sunday, I looked out the windows into the parking lot and saw him coming. I took off like only an 11 year old flash of light can. I fairly flew out the doors and right into his arms. Uncle Hardee was here. This was a special day because he was there. He grabbed me into a hug, gave me the customary kiss (which always made me blush), and told me, "You are a beautiful young lady and one day some young man is going to want to marry you. You make sure he meets Good 'Ol Uncle Hardee's approval." I always blushed and agreed, but rolled my eyes thinking he was silly.

Who was this man with a funny name? He is a man who is now sitting at the feet of my Lord. Oh the shear excitement he must be feeling as he talks with HIM and tells Him about those he loves. This man is Harold Bardsley. Pastor, District Superintendent, Indiana Wesleyan University Board member and so much more. But to me, he will always remain in my heart as "Good 'ol Uncle Hardee." Each time I pass a Hardee's restaurant, drive past the Indiana North District Office, or drive around Glendale Lake, his memory will be fresh in my mind and on my heart.

Uncle Hardee, this world just isn't going to be the same with out you. I'll forever wait for you to walk in the door by the Splash Welcome Center and look me in the eye with that twinkle and smile your love at me. I miss you. I always will.

I rejoice that you are with your Maker. Maybe you can do the work of helping to have my house prepared so I don't have to unpack into this one! Or Maybe you could build that Hardee's restaurant so when I come to meet my Maker, you can take me there.

There is so much I've left unsaid. So many things I would love to have known. Our paths went separate directions until 2 years ago when as in days gone by, I came running (unexpectedly) up to you in the Old College Church after service and re-introduced myself as your long lost girl who still loved you. One who sits here mourning your loss with a tear-stained face. Oh how I wish my girls would have known a relationship with you as I did. I'm so sorry I didn't share them with you so you'd have them to love too. You would have loved them, probably more than you loved me! They're even funnier and sweeter than I was.

Thank you for your part in bringing us to Indiana. So many amazing opportunities came from the time we were in Avon. I found out I was a whiz on the telephone, becoming the top ranked telemarketer when we made all those calls trying to get the church started. I found out I loved going door to door with you too. I've made friends that I still have after all these years because we were there. Thank you.

Uncle Hardee, I love you.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I didnt realize Harold had passed away. While I didnt have many interactions with him other than one class, I know he was a great man of the Lord. My prayers are with you and his family