Want great tips for the Family?

I write for The Examiner.com and would love to have you stop by and read my articles at:

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Sweet Jesus, she's Gone!

Have you ever lost someone you loved? It's probably a silly question because there are so few of us who haven't lost anyone yet. I lost someone I loved on Friday. She was one of the spiritual giants (I don't mean that because she was tall...no...she was not tall in stature)who leave a huge hole when they go.

Linda Reed. Her name can be tied to so many different things over the years - Chemung Canal Bank, Big Flats Wesleyan Church, Operation Christmas Child, the prayer ministry at BFWC...the list could go on. It was not any of these things that hit me like what I'm about to share, although when I pack our shoeboxes this year, I can guarantee I'll cry as I think about our beloved Linda and her passion for OCC.

What hits me the most is my prayer covering (Not the kind an amish person wears) is gone. God gave me Linda back in 1993 when we moved back to Big Flats. She was so excited to have us back, but little did she know the task God was setting before her with me. Throughout the next 17 years, God would call on her to lose hours of sleep because of me. You see, Linda was a prayer warrior - the kind who would stand in the gap for others. God would prompt her to pray and she'd do it...wherever she was. For me, these times would often happen during the wee hours of the night when Linda would prefer to be sleeping. God would wake Linda to pray for me and whatever situation I was facing. I remember on time when things were pretty bad for me. She told me afterwards that she really wanted to call me and tell me to get it worked out so she could get some sleep! It wasn't that I was a horrible child or young adult, but I faced many very difficult situations.

God called Linda to a high calling. Often when we pray, we think we aren't doing much, but I know from the prayer covering I had with Linda, that is simply not true. Now that Linda is gone, I feel this giant-sized hole knowing I can't cry out to God to alert Linda to pray. She's now rejoicing at HIS feet totally healed from the leukemia that ravaged her body.

Time and time again Linda would stand up in church, crying (because that is what Linda did...and we always had a kleenex box nearby), and sharing how God had awakened her that week to pray. Sometimes she was sharing her burden with us, while other times she was sharing how God had lead thru the prompting.

God gave me the gift of Linda. She never judged me, even when I was facing situations she knew were clearly wrong. She never told me, "I told you so." She would simply hug me, or send me a note sharing how God had awakened her to pray and she loved me no matter what.

Linda served as our Wedding Coordinator with her husband Guy. They helped pull the details together the day of our wedding. They've been a part of home groups I've been in, and thru her ministry with Samaritan's Purse's Operation Christmas Child, Linda's heart brought about a strong Collection site for these boxes that get shipped all around the world. She even traveled to help deliver boxes a time or two.

One of the things I've really been challenged to do lately is to become that prayer covering for others. God wakes me (even in the wee hours when I hate being awake) and puts someone on my heart and strongly reminds me to pray. I'm learning the joy of doing this for others. My friends are learning to come to me with their needs so that I will know how to specifically pray. Although I do not feel I am the spiritual giant in prayer that Linda was, I feel God is using me much like the scripture that says, 1Th 5:17 "Pray without ceasing." This is what Linda did. Her prayer covering in my life, and so many others will be missed tremendously. One other way her prayer covering touched me...she was part of my dad's Pastor's Prayer team. Linda supported my dad so much and felt that one of the best ways she could do that was to pray. She'd pray with a group of others during sermon time, and often held Dad up in prayers.

On Friday at noon, Linda Reed lost the battle to leukemia, but won the ultimate race. She's received her crown in glory and is dancing with her sweet Jesus. I can see her hugging Him, climbing up on His lap to talk, and of course crying. I know the Bible says that there will be no more crying, but I still think there will be tears where Linda is! She can't wrap herself in the arms of the Master Physician who has healed her completely without tears!

To Linda's family, I'm so sorry for your loss. There aren't words to express the pain we all feel. She was such a special woman for all of us and will be greatly missed.

TO Grayson, be strong. You've faced a lot in the past couple of years with losing Grandpa Jimmy, and now Grandma Linda. I pray that you will turn your aching heart to Jesus who can comfort you and not turn away from Him in pain. Linda would never have wanted that. She would say something like this, "I'm home now. I'm healed, and I'm with my sweet Jesus." Grayson, I will pray for you as Linda has prayed for me.

To Guy, if I were there, I'd come, wrap my arms around your shoulders and we'd embrace in one of those "bear hugs" you give, and I'd tell you how blessed we were to have Linda to love for the time God gave us.

To Mary, I'm sure this can't be easy as a mom to have watched your daughter go thru so much pain. Let's rejoice in knowing she's in Heaven with her dad - Jimmy, and her FATHER too.

Eric & Mel, Cherish Linda's memory. Share it with your kids, and search your own hearts. Are you going to be with her again? I know that is exactly what she would want. Don't wait. Make a commitment to God now. We are not promised tomorrow....only today. Wouldn't you want to be with her again?


I'm reminded of a song called "Touch of the Master's Hand." The song talked about an auction coming to a close and the last item was a violin. It wasn't much. It was batted and scared, and didn't look nice. As the end of the song, a man came out of the crowd, picked up the violin and played with such grace that everyone was awed. It was the touch of the Master's Hand.

This, my friends, is what has happened with Linda. She was battered and scared by this terrible disease, but in the end, the Master stepped in took her home to be with Him, and now she's made whole again. We must rejoice in knowing she'll face no more pain, no more suffering, and that she's in the arms of Sweet Jesus.

1 comment:

Julie Arduini said...

What a beautiful tribute. I think the most awesome part of her life was it lives on not just through her loved ones, but in the anointing God gave her. For you to cover others, like Grayson, that's picking up a mantle Linda carried for the Lord. I know YOU will carry it well for Him, because of her love. I'll never think of OCC without thinking of her, and her smile. That woman had joy on Earth, and I can't imagine the perfection she's enjoying now.

Praying for you and your parents, I know how much Linda means to all of you.

Love,
Julie